Sunday, June 15, 2008

Children and Fathers

Children slow parents down. But not necessarily in a bad way. I've come to the realization that having children slows time. Or at least consumes more of it than when I didn't have any. It takes at least twice as long to do just about everything. When I go to get a spoon out of the silverware drawer, instead of taking about three seconds, it takes at least six because someone wants to see what's in the drawer. When I want to eat breakfast, instead of taking fifteen minutes, it takes a half hour just to get everyone their food. It's another fifteen minutes to clean up the scraps off the floor and rinse the dishes. When I want to go somewhere, instead of grabbing my purse and hopping in the car in two minutes, it takes at least twenty because I have to find three to four pairs of shoes, pack a diaper bag with enough for four kids, load up four carseats, and grab drinks or snacks for the short car ride to our final destination.

I dread the infrequent occasions when Jeff has to go out of town for more than the day. That means I will have sole responsibility for all the kids for the entire day and night rather than having some help in the evenings. Putting four young children to bed at night can be an hours-long process if I don't skimp on their routines. Pj's, brushing teeth, reading books, changing diapers, dancing and prayers multiplied by four can be incredibly time consuming. The lack of distinguished conversation in a house full of children can also take a toll on my sanity.

Thinking about all the things I do each day, and all the strains, stresses and accountability that comes with raising children, I have no choice but to acknowledge and begin to treasure the amazing gift I have been given in my husband, Jeff. I truly and honestly do not think I could manage on my own without him. He is very intuitive to my sanity. He is amazing with our children and they know he loves them dearly. He is an incredible husband and has so many qualities that I really admire and appreciate. He works very hard so that I can stay home to raise our kids. He has amazing accountability and is very honest. He has the best work ethic of anyone I have ever met. He has a great sense of humor and a comfortable personality. He keeps me sane. He keeps me happy. He is my true love, and my best friend and I love him eternally. I don't think some people realize the role that the husbands and fathers play in the child rearing process. Many believe that the man's role is to work and provide for the family while the woman tends the children and house. What many fail to realize is the enormous pressure that is lifted off the woman's shoulders when her husband comes home and shows his support. This is definitely the case in my house. I really couldn't do it without his love and support. Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Briar Black said...

Sounds like you live a pretty crazy life, a good life and a good crazy, but still crazy. I'm glad you have someone who is there to back you up. You are very lucky.

Briar Black said...

Okay, okay my brother and I decided to take pity on our rather high-strung sister, but it wasn't easy. Supernatural is a pretty good show,isn't it? Don't worry my lips are sealed.